Premier Giorgia Meloni has cancelled
the engagements she had planned for Thursday in order to focus
on action that needs to be taken following the introduction of
new tariffs by the United States government, her office said.
On Thursday the premier had been scheduled to attend the
inauguration of a Carabinieri police station in Limbadi, in the
Calabrian province of Vibo Valentia.
On Wednesday Meloni expressed criticism after US President
Donald Trump announced a series of hefty tariffs, including 20%
duties on EU goods, and said she would keep working for an
agreement to prevent a trade war.
"The introduction of tariffs by the United States against the
European Union is a measure that I consider wrong and that does
not benefit any of the parties involved," the premier's office
said in a statement.
"We will do everything we can to work towards an agreement with
the United States, with the goal of averting a trade war that
would inevitably weaken the West to the advantage of other
global players.
"In any case, we will, as always, act in the interest of Italy
and its economy, also by coordinating with our European
partners".
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA